Make your customer and employee documents more accessible by using plain language
The point of communicating is to be understood, right? That’s why it’s critical to take the time to write so everyone can understand your content. The payoff can be great, because doing this will help you boost your:
- Customer satisfaction.
- Employee productivity.
- Competitiveness in the marketplace.
A simple approach is best. Many companies make the mistake of being too formal—and too company-oriented in their writing—instead of customer- or employee-focussed. Ways you can overcome these obstacles is to be:
- Clear – use common words that are easily understood
- Accurate – ensure all concepts, instructions and standards are correct
- Precise – get straight to the point by using concise sentences
At the same time, you want to create in-house “rules” to follow to ensure there is consistency across how plain language is used in all your documents. This means you don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time a new document is needed.
A plain language guide helps maintain consistency. Regardless of the audience, plain language benefits everyone.
Here are a couple of examples:
- A construction company would use plain language in their training materials, procedures, internal and external communications and subcontractor dealings to ensure there is clarity for all readers, etc.
- A retail investment firm would use plain language to ensure its customers understood exactly what they were investing in.
It’s all in how your written words come across. To get there, you need a proven process for developing plain language guidelines and creating the documents that flow from those. And that’s where we can help. Cohort employs a plain language approach in all our work, whether we’re starting from scratch or rewriting company documentation.
Discover how you can help your readers learn and solve their problems faster. Reach out to us today. Call us at 403-970-9137.
The following values are woven into the DNA of our business: Trust, Transparency, Clarity, Consistency, Respect.
Cohort Technical Communications Inc. helps our clients reduce their risk and gain peace of mind through the implementation of documentation best practices and infrastructure.